Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Scenes from a Trip : Madison, WI


travel
I spent the weekend in Madison, Wisconsin. I flew out Friday morning bright and early. My flight was at 6:45am, which meant I had to get up at 4am to have enough time to get ready and to the airport an hour before the plane took off. Everything went smoothly. I had plenty of time at the airport and was even trying to stall because I convinced myself it just wasn't right to eat breakfast before 6am. I ate at 5:50am. The first leg of the trip was a quick jump down to Baltimore, which for a few reasons didn't sit very well with me. Once that emotional pill was swallowed I really enjoyed the alone time. 
travel
It was not only the first time I'd flown in a while (over a year) but it was also the first time I'd flown alone in...I don't know how long. I hadn't even thought of that until I was on my way but I really liked it. I think I'm more relaxed when I'm alone. I get along really well with myself, ha. I brought along one of my favorite books of all time Shopgirl by Steve Martin. I haven't read it in a while and since they were short flights I figured I'd bring a fantastic short book. This paragraph (pictured above) came at just the right time. Don't take it too literally, I just really like the paragraph. It also turns out that Merl has a hidden reclusive kitty at her apartment who I met, very briefly.
travel
travel  travel
travel  travel
travel
I wore leggings, boots, a flannel, a comfy oversized sweater, and a side braid. It turned out to be the perfect combination of elements for the flights. I chose to wear the boots so they wouldn't get smooshed in my luggage, the rest was for warmth and/or comfort. After the layover in Baltimore I was back on the plane and headed straight to Madison from there. 
travel
Merl was nice enough to pick me up at the airport and was even on time! We made a pit stop in Milwaukee because I had some business to attend to but also so I could see Lake Michigan. I've never been in this part of the country before. The first and last time I was landlocked in this country I was in Denver, CO. Wisconsin was a completely different experience. I think the gigantic lake and smaller ones that dotted the country side helped me feel less landlocked there. After that Merl and I dashed back to Madison and picked up some eats at this great place called the Mermaid Cafe. It was delicious. We relaxed for the rest of the day at her apartment before we headed out for more food with my friends Brian and Alex. Merl's "M" came along as well. The Weary Traveler had a really great vibe, and the chef tweets the specials so we knew exactly what to order.
travel
The first day was a complete success and a great introduction to Wisconsin and the midwest. Anyone out there from the midwest area?
travel
Lake Michigan! We meet at last.
Merl has been posting a few sneak peaks of the photos we took this weekend for her lookbook (plus some kind words and some personal style pictures that I'll get up later this week). You can check out the lookbook sneak peaks on her blog, Clyde's Rebirth facebook page and Mo Vintage facebook page. I can't wait for the real thing! I hope you guys like it. 
Outfit post coming tomorrow!


signature_jane

12 comments:

The Wh0le Story said...

Midwest - born and raised! I have lived most of my life in Illinois, first in smaller towns and cities and now in Chicago.

I am also familiar with Wisconsin, especially Madison and Milwaukee. I love both, but Madison has that great small town feel while also having a bunch to do. Enjoy your time there! :o)

Becca [Free Honey] said...

I like flying alone too. There's something really peaceful and relaxing knowing that there is nothing else you need to be doing for those hours on the flight. You can't be online, you can't make phone calls. There's nothing you can stress about or feel guilty about not doing. Plus, sometimes I really like being alone with people. Music on, someone brings you a drink, you can't get up. Wouldn't want to do it all the time, but once in a while it's nice.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get out of the city and that you had a good time with Merl. As I've tweeted both of you and said on Merl's blog as well, I'm really looking forward to see what you put together. I think the collaboration makes so much sense. It's nice that she was able to work with someone who knows her and has a sense of who she is and what she's trying to project.

Samantha Marie said...

Hope you are having a wonderful amazing time! :)
Your photos are beautiful.

Samantha
SmellyShoesVintage.BlogSpot.Com

Anonymous said...

i like your photos, miss lady. :) can't wait to see more!! xo

archives vintage said...

glad you got a chance to hit the midwest! hopefully you can make it to chicago one day!

amberly said...

I'm a midwestern girl! :) From IN. Its actually becoming quite the city, I love it, and I am constantly reminded that creativity and style flourish, no matter where you are!!

But, that being said, I'm moving out to NYC the end of October, hehe

So glad you had a nice weekend, love!

KristiMcMurry said...

Looks like a fun time! I LOVE that book!!! I read it a year or so ago and I still have it tucked away on my shelf to read again later :) Also, I know what you mean about enjoying the alone time on a flight. I've only flown alone twice, and it was great both times!

Brittany said...

Sounds like such an exciting trip! Can't wait to hear the rest & see all of the pictures- heading to Meryl's blog now to check out that preview!

Woods said...

great pictures love them! i really like what your wore on the planes so comfortable!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Yaaayy! Lake Michigan! I loveeed Madison when we were there - it's so cute! Next time you'll have to head to Michigan! ;)

Anonymous said...

ur photos fromt he plane are so crisp!! how did this happen?!?! LOVE IT.

xo, Kim www.eatsleepwear.com

Anonymous said...

ur photos fromt he plane are so crisp!! how did this happen?!?! LOVE IT.

xo, Kim www.eatsleepwear.com

 
back to top