Friday, April 29, 2011

Scenes from a City : My Birthday


citybday  citybday
I celebrated my 26th birthday in New York City this year. The day started out with a lovely wake up call from Lua at my bedside and a card from my parents. I made my standard yerba mate and granola morning treats, then headed off to work. It was one of the first days in New York that actually felt like spring! There were flowers blooming and petals on the ground. The weather seems to finally be breaking through for the season. 
citybday  citybday
citybday  citybday
I took Lua for a long run by the river after work. It felt more significant than usual because it was my birthday. As I said, I was a little bit nervous about turning another year older. I've never been the type of person who was bothered by birthdays at all. Something about this one just felt different. Maybe it's because I've had such an up and down year, or maybe it's because I'm starting to realize there are still so many things I want to do and sometimes it starts to feel like a time crunch.
citybday  citybday
citybday  citybday
Lucky for me, I have some really great girlfriends in New York City. I reached out to them earlier in the week about getting together for a casual dinner on my actual birthday. It's always so great to be able to meet up with them, especially when everyone's busy schedules usually keep us apart. A few of my friends I've known since I was in pre-school, some from college, and some brand new. I'm so glad that I was able to see such great ladies on my birthday. 
citybday
citybday
citybday
We went to Caza Mezcal on the Lower East Side. The food and drinks were great and the atmosphere was exactly what I was looking for. After plenty of chips, guacamole, and margaritas, Melissa brought out some cupcakes for all the girls. They were a special delivery from Kim, since she couldn't be there to celebrate. They even sang Happy Birthday to me. 
citybday  citybday
citybday  citybday
I decided to get a little dressed up since it was my birthday and all. I went with a black mini and my go to velvet polka dot top from Madewell. I added my blue suede heels and my favorite fishy Clyde's Rebirth pendant and I was set to go. It's fun to get dressed up to spent the night on the town with your girlfriends every once in a while. 
citybday
I had an amazing day on my actual birthday. I'm still processing everything about what this past year, and this birthday mean to me, but what I do know is that I'm so grateful for the friends who have stuck by me through it all. I'm sure at times I haven't been the easiest person to be friends with, I understand it's always a give a take with friends, which is why I'm so happy that I have a small group of people that keep coming around year after year. It truly means so much to me. Thank you to everyone who made this birthday such a special one for me!
citybday  citybday
dashmark-white
I'm sorry the blog has been so quiet this week. You may have seen on Twitter that I'm currently with Merl from Clyde's Rebirth! She came out for a long weekend to help me celebrate my belated birthday. We're also working on something very special, follow along on twitter to see some sneak peaks and hear about what we've been up to. 



signature_jane

14 comments:

The Wh0le Story said...

Happy birthday! It looks like you had a great day with tons of wonderful friends and food - doesn't get much better than that :o) I'm on my way out of 26 (I'll be 27 in July), and it is kind of the stumbling point into "real" adulthood. I'm hope the last few years of my twenties will be filled with a lot of revelations and figuring myself out....fun stuff, haha. But really, congrats!

Unknown said...

It sounds and looks like you had an amazing birthday day! You deserve it all.

kelsey said...

are those jentine's feet in the nude heels? :)

The Semi Sweet said...

So you and Merl are being secretive? I hope it's for a new lookbook:)

Have a nice weekend!

Jessie @ Style and Pepper said...

hope you had the happiest birthday, love! looks like it was a lot of fun!!!! XOXOXO

C said...

I'm so glad you had such a lovely birthday, Morgan! Days like that are just perfect, and I'm glad you've been able to reflect a bit on what this year has been to you. Can't wait to hear/see more. Hope you're having an absolute ball with Merl!

Sweet Laundry said...

It sounds like you had a lovely birthday. I think it's really neat that you have the same birthday as Queen Elizabeth II and your middle name is Elizabeth. You should have been invited to the Royal Wedding! We both should have, because my middle name is Elizabeth too! I can't wait to see what you and Merl are working on :)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

your pictures are incredible! I love the one with your running shoes and your dogs paws- so adorable- and of course the shoes and bags one, so great! it's wonderful when friends can all get together and i'm glad to hear you had a great time on your bday. I know what you mean about birthdays, I've never felt anxious about them either but am starting to already, and mine's not until september! but maybe i'm just being dramatic and feeling anxious for the changes in the next few months before.

Caroline said...

Happy Belated!!!!! I love celebrating birthdays. Sending you much love! xo!

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

happy belated birthday! these are all o beautiful. x hivenn

taliecash said...

Happy Birthday, looks like a fun time! 26 is fun, you will see!

The Purse-a-holic said...

Happy Belated! Love your blog :-)

A Girl's Next Best Friend

Louise (Fifth Sparrow) said...

Such a pretty photo diary of your birthday! I'm glad to hear that it was a lovely day, birthdays should be! xx

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

happy belated birthday, beautiful girl! 26 was one of the most pivotal years of my life - a lot of things started changing for me then and it's been onwards and upwards ever since. i hope it's as good a year for you as it was for me!

 
back to top