Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scenes from a Weekend : XIV

If you follow me on Twitter you may have seen that I had a terrible time getting back from my wonderful fantasy trip in Vegas. I had every intention of making it home by Thursday night but didn't actually get back until Friday morning. What happened is that somewhere between Las Vegas, Nevada - Columbus, Ohio - and Baltimore, Maryland the weather got really bad. Not to mention that our plane didn't have enough fuel. We ended up at the Dulles airport in Washington, DC for a few hours stuck on the plane, then finally made it back to Baltimore to land just shy of midnight. I missed my connecting flight and had spent ten hours sitting in the same seat, on the same plane. I was traveling alone so when I landed I needed to find a place to sleep as soon as possible. I managed to get to a hotel somewhat near the airport. It was one of the most frightening experiences I've had in a long time. I got to the hotel around 1 am, had to try three different rooms before one had a working door, slept in my clothes with only my carry on available to me, and woke up at 6 am to rush back to the airport for my morning flight. I'm sure I was quite the sight.
In some ways I'm kind of glad it happened. It's a story. It happened. It's over. Everyone has bad airport experiences. In a way it was kind of my turn. That said, I spent most of the weekend at my parents in sweatpants, watching movies, and spontaneously napping. I did manage to slip in some granola baking time though. Saturday night I drove back into the city to unwind at my place a bit before I had to get back into work week mode. I didn't realize how much I'd missed making myself dinner. After more than a week of eating whatever was easiest, it was refreshing to have something I'm a little more used to.
Sunday I took Lua for a nice long walk in the morning. She hadn't been feeling well after being boarded for so long, which meant she needed a lot of calm down time before she could feel like her crazy self again. The day went by quickly, but I did manage to slip in some much needed Skype time with the lovely Terra. I missed her face and we NEEDED a good catch up session. Later that day I went down to a friends apartment to enjoy some delicious spicy fish tacos her and her husband had cooked up. I haven't been motivated to go hopping around the city as much as I would have liked to, but I think that the recent trip out of town (and daylight savings) has helped reinvigorated this city for me. It has been a very good shift in momentum. 
You can donate to the Red Cross to aid disaster relief efforts for those affected by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan by following this link. Please consider giving a little, or whatever you can to help. 



Louise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louise said...

Yum, blueberries. You poor things! It seems everyone everywhere is not feeling too good at the moment, which is sad. I hope things get better though!

Caroline said...

I had a similar experience in the Baltimore airport, actually. I was traveling alone at 18 with 3 large suitcases in tow and had to spend one (sleepless) night in a hotel all by myself! So traumatizing. At least you had a full weekend to relax when you arrived home!

myedit said...

Oh man... what the hell? Matt and I had a long day yesterday b/c the cheapest flight was the one with 3 flights (ugh) and at one point Matt was a grumpy bear and I told him that he better suck it up b/c nothing bad had happened during our flights and we should be thankful. Granted, he was grumpy b/c he injured his foot but still... your story is scary stuff! How smelly was the plane?

Santina said...

Mmmm, that granola looks so yummy, Morgan!

I hate bad travel experiences...they are always so bad! A few years back, I boarded a plan from Boston to Portland and immediately fell asleep (like before take off). I woke up six hours later and realized we were on the ground. I looked at the guy next to me and was informed that the plane never left Boston and I had just been sleeping through all the drama. I ended up sleeping in the airport that night because of a blizzard! It was too risky to get a hotel and then try to get back early the next morning. It was miserable!

byMelody said...

yum! All of this looks so good :)

x Melody

back to top